Music plays a fundamental role in our lives. Even when an I-Pod is not plugged into our ears, we are still surrounded by music in the malls, in our homes and even in our cars. Listening to music not only helps us feel good; it has been found to influence emotions, thoughts and behavior. It is therefore in our best interest to learn more about the power of organized sound in its many contexts.
At Uplands, we try to sustain an active musical environment where various types of styles are explored and appreciated. Every student at Uplands has access to music through a wide range of opportunities:
Years 10 – 11: International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE). Historically, around 20 – 25% of the students in each year group enroll in GCSE music.
Individual instrumental studies
This programme is open to all students. The countless hours that go into individual music tuition provide the basis of school ensemble-playing and much more besides. Tuition is provided on as wide a range of instruments as is possible, and also voice.
This involves professional musicians visiting the School, broadening the teaching base and the range of music specialists that students can learn from.
Field trips, festivals & special events
The Music Department encourages Uplanders to gain a wider perspective of the art by organizing and participating in special events throughout the year. A sampling of such events include:
• Concert attendance for exposure to good quality performances in Penang and KL
• Annual International FOBISSEA Music Festival
• Penang State Symphony Orchestra & Choir (PESSOC) projects and lectures
• Uplands Chamber Orchestra
• Uplands Singers and Rock Bands
• Frequent performing activities through School concerts and community performances
• FOBISSEA Gamelan Festival