In Modern languages we offer both IGCSE and GCSE depending on the language studied. They share the same course outline, but IGCSE is recommended for those who wish to continue their study of the foreign language in the sixth form.
Languages at Uplands
We offer a very wide choice of languages at Uplands and aim to match each individual student to their appropriate level. Many bilingual students sit for IGCSE in their mother tongue in Year 11 in addition to their foreign language.
In Mandarin we offer IGCSE First Language to those students who have displayed proficiency in the language. For fluent speakers of Japanese, French and German the first Language exam may be taken at Uplands, but tuition will be sought privately.
For IGCSE First Language exams students are assessed in the following skills:
• Japanese is offered at: GCSE: Edexcel, 2 year course taken by students with 2-3 years experience of the language
• French is offered at: IGCSE:Cambridge, 2 year course taken by students with 2-3 years experience of the language
• German is offered at CIE IGCSE level, 2 year course taken by students with 2-3 years experience of the language.
• Malay is offered: IGCSE: Cambridge and is compulsory for all Malaysian students
• Spanish is offered at CIE IGCSE level,2 year course taken by students with 2-3 years of experience of the language.
The following text books are the main course book used for the study of the language in Year 10 and 11.
• Mandarin: Chinese Made Easy
• Japanese: Genki
• French: Encore Tricolore 4
• German: Edexcel GCSE German
• Malay: Workbook for Bahasa Malaysia
• Spanish: Listos Textbooks 1-3
For IGCSE and GCSE there are exams in the four skill areas:
• speaking (taped assessment) 25%
• listening 25%
• reading 25%
• writing 25%