The Media Studies GCSE course is an exciting subject which helps develop a student’s appreciation and critical understanding of the media and its role in our daily lives. They will consider how the media communicates with them through the use of films, television, advertising, news, magazines, internet, video games, music and more.
In order to engage fully with the subject candidates will undertake a variety of theoretical and practical tasks where they will consider how the media constructs texts in order to represent the world to us as an audience. These tasks will be tackled in diverse ways, ranging from class discussions, essay writing, script writing, creative design to film making. Students will be required to work with cameras and use video and picture editing software to complete different stages of the course.
To do this the course will be split in to two sections. It will be assessed through an exam at the end of Year 11 which is 40% of the GCSE grade. The other 60% will be internally assessed and is made up of 3 pieces of work, consisting of two textual analysis’s and a practical production (usually working with cameras and video editing software to produce a short film)