Learning SupportUplands Web
The Learning Support Department aims to support those students who, for a variety of reasons (academic, social, emotional, physical), are struggling to meet the demands of the mainstream curriculum.
The Aims of the Learning Support Department
- To support the creation of a learning environment that meets the educational needs of each student
- To promote differentiated learning in all types of events across the entire curriculum
- To ensure that the learning needs of students are identified, assessed and provided
- To identify and coordinate support for students who have exceptional learning abilities
- To identify the roles and responsibilities of staff in providing for students’ learning needs
- To ensure regular consultation with parents regarding their child’s learning difficulties
- To fully integrate LS students back into mainstream classes wherever appropriate
The nature of support varies depending on the needs of the child. We do not favour close individual supervision because it is important that the student integrates with their group. The long-term aim for students is to maximise their ability to work independently. Therefore, any support for students is provided in-class wherever possible. When necessary, some withdrawal from lessons may occur as part of a structured programme.
Partnership with Parents
The school works closely with parents to support the students. We encourage an active partnership through dialogue with parents. Suggestions on ways to help their children are made to parents on the IEP. For students entering the school who are receiving or have received Learning Support previously, the Department will liaise with the student’s current or previous school. Parents are encouraged to attend Parent Teacher Conferences which occur twice per year to maintain communication regarding their child’s progress. For local Primary feeder schools, the Department will meet with school staff, parents and students before entry, which is usually the third term of Year 6.
The Role of the Learning Support Teacher
- Supporting curriculum design, instruction and student achievement
- Provide direct student support through small group and one-on-one instruction within the general education classroom
- Collaborate with teachers to develop effective whole group practices, small group interventions, and individualized learning activities
- Support teachers in differentiating plans for students based on their unique learning profiles so that all students are engaged and challenged and each student achieves dramatic gains
- Assist teachers with tracking data to determine the effectiveness of interventions
- Write and implement rigorous individual programs, and coordinate annual IEP review process
- Coordinate with content and year level teams to promote an environment of collaboration
The goal of the Learning Support department at Uplands is to support all students’ development as they move through the school. We are committed our community in their endeavours to increase student achievement and personal development.