The school offers a wide range of opportunities for students to actively engage in the process of Music making. These Co-Curricular Activities (CCA’s), encourage students of all abilities and age to participate.
Some examples of CCA activities include:
- Uplands Secondary Orchestra (The USO)
- Secondary School Production show band
- Primary Orchestra
- Primary Choir
- Rock Band
- Introduction to Jazz Improvisation
- Instrumental ensembles
A number of events feature regularly in our School calendar which allow students the opportunity to perform to peers and the wider school community.
Some of the regular performance events include:
- Lunchtime Music performances featuring performances by student (and staff) Music groups, solo performances and duets.
- The annual School Fair, ‘Art in the Park’ presented in conjunction with Uplands Parent Teacher Association (UPTA), that showcases musical performances from students across the school.
- The Annual School Prom which features the annual ‘Battle if the Bands’
- House Battle of the Bands’ competition
- ‘Uplands Got Talent”- annual talent contest organised and presented by students under the guidance of the Year 11 Student Council (USC)
- IB Diploma Program (Group 6, Arts Night) that showcases the work of graduating Visual Arts, Film, Theatre and Music students through exhibitions and performances.
- The Graduation Ball which features performances from students (and teachers) to mark the special event
- The St Patrick’s Day Festival – held off campus (last year at Straits Quay) which showcases some of the senior bands and Uplands alongside bands from other schools in the region
- Participation in competitions and eisteddfods such as the AIMS Young Musician Awards.
- Musical Theatre Productions (combined with the Drama and Visual Arts Departments)
- Presentation Day which features music performances as part of the program
Field trips, festivals & special events
As much as possible, the Music Department aims to facilitate excursions and ‘in-school’ performances/workshops to further encourage and inspire students and to gain a wider perspective of the Arts. A sampling of such events include:
- Concert attendance for exposure to good quality performances in Penang and KL
- Excursions to places like Penang House of Music to discover more about the history of Music in Penang and Malaysia .
- Annual International FOBISSEA Music Festival
- Penang State Symphony Orchestra & Choir (PESSOC) projects
- Annual Penang Jazz Festival (workshop participation)
Individual instrumental studies
This programme is open to all students. The countless hours that go into individual music tuition provide the basis of school ensemble-playing and much more besides. The school has a wide selection of instruments available for interested students and will assist in finding an instrumental tutor for private lessons.
In our academic staff, we are lucky to have teachers with professional instrumental performance experience and in addition, facilitate professional musician visits to the school, to run masterclasses, workshops and to perform and further inspire students.