Years 10 – 11: Core PE Overview

Through the Uplands sports programme, students are provided with opportunities to develop organization and leadership skills, coaching, and management skills at a basic level.

In Years 10 & 11 students follow 2 different pathways within Physical Education. All students have 3 lessons of Physical Education per seven day rotation; ‘core’ (non-examined P.E.) or they follow the IGCSE P.E. course.

Core Physical Education

Students are able to select their own programme and can opt to specialize in certain activities or follow a broader range of activities depending on their strengths and/or personal choice. Through the programme, students are provided with opportunities to develop organization and leadership skills, coaching and management skills at a basic level.

In Years 10 & 11, as core Physical Education is a compulsory, non-examined subject, students are assessed based on their effort or approaches to learning (ATL’s)

Years 10 – 11: IGCSE PE Overview

The objectives of the course are determined by the syllabus of the CIE Board (U.K).

The syllabus provides learners with an opportunity to study both the practical and theoretical aspects of physical education. It is designed to encourage enjoyment in physical activity by providing learners with an opportunity to take part in a range of physical activities and develop an understanding of effective and safe physical performance. This helps learners to develop an appreciation of the necessity for a sound understanding of the principles, practices, and training that underpin improved performance, better health, and well-being

Cambridge IGCSE PE Syllabus

Assessment

The course in Physical Education comprises of two components:

  • Theory 50% (75% for the examination year 2021)
  • Practical 50% (25% for the examination year 2021)

For the practical component, students are required to complete 4 activities. These may come from activities that are studied in school or a specialist activity that a student studies outside of school. Students are assessed at the end of each activity to give a coursework grade.

The theory aspect investigates a number of different areas that include factors affecting participation and performance, injuries and safety, basic anatomy and physiology, training methods, and drugs.

**Students who will be taking the 2021 examination will be required to only select one practical activity and this will constitute a total of 25% of the final grade with the theoretical component making up the remaining 75%!

For the practical component, students are required to complete 4 activities. These may come from activities that are studied in school or a specialist activity that a student studies outside of school.

More information can be found at the IGCSE Website.

Updated on 18 September 2020