Years 7 – 9 Science
Our courses build self-esteem and confidence in problem-solving and the logical developing sequences of ideas. As well as finding science a rewarding subject to study, students will also find the subject fun!
In Years 7, 8 and 9, we follow a Science Programme based largely upon the National Curriculum taught in the United Kingdom. Students positive experiences in science develop communicating, interpreting and problem-solving skills.
Our courses aim to make students more sensitive and responsive to the natural and man-made world, and to appreciate the concerns for the environment and finite nature of our natural world resources. Our courses build self-esteem and confidence in problem-solving and the logical developing sequences of ideas. As well as finding science a rewarding subject to study, students will also find the subject fun!
At the end of Yr.9 students will be entered for the UK SAT examination in Science.
Students follow the IGCSE Co-ordinated Science course from Yr.10 onwards as part of the core curriculum at Uplands.
Assessment is designed to improve students learning and to gather information on their progress. It is also a tool to analyse the delivery of the Science programme.
A variety of methods will be used:
- Modules will be examined by an end of module test
- Each module has a list of achievement objectives at the end of the module the students should review their own progress on the individual unit.
- Years 7-9 will undergo a skills-based practical
- Students will have regular homework, including a range of assignments
- A UK SAT Examination at the end of Year 9
- After each skill practical there will be an opportunity for students to participate in the assessment of their own work
- Regular reporting to parents or caregiver will take place in line with the schools policy
- The Science Department will use National Curriculum Levels of Attainment in their reports.