Welcome to our Libraries
We are fortunate to have two separate libraries in the International School of Penang (Uplands), one for Primary students and another for Secondary students including IB students. The libraries are specifically designed and tailored for each school’s need with the aim to support the school’s curriculum and to cultivate the passion for reading, research skills and promote future learning among students. Both libraries have their own collection of books, electronic and audio-visual media available for curricular and personal interest.
Julliena Teh Learning Hub (Primary Library)
This Learning Hub is in Block E and caters for students from Reception to Year 6. This library houses approximately 9,000 books which include various titles ranging from fiction to non-fiction and home readers. In this library, our main aim is to promote reading for pleasure and enabling our children to form a habit of reading and love of books. To achieve this objective, we have provided a stimulating, safe, relaxed and supportive environment for the children to enjoy. In this Learning Hub, we provide:
- A good quality reading material that attracts, widens and beguiles our readers.
- Library lessons delivered by a qualified and experienced teacher-librarian for students from Reception to Year 6, to enhance information literacy as well as Approaches to Learning (ATL) skills. Students have a chance to learn research skills from a very young age.
- Our subscription to Britannica Online, Tumble Books and Epic eBooks proves to encourage our readers more into the reading world.
- · We are equipped with a class set of Chromebooks and iPads for the students to use during the library lessons as well as break and lunchtime.
Students’ Resources Centre (SRC) Senior Library
Students’ Resource Centre (SRC) is one of the highly valued departments in our school. SRC is located at the ground floor of Block B, opposite the central garden. SRC is filled with more than 17,000 reading materials which include a wide range of books from fiction, non-fiction, language text, references, journals, magazines, newspapers and articles.
The main objective of SRC is to support the school’s curriculum by providing facilities, and resources to students and teachers. Our aim is to develop students’ life-long independent learning and enquiry. Our library is a doorway to digital and information literacy skills too, where students explore innovation in the world around them through our print and digital collections. Some of the facilities we offer in SRC:
- SRC is equipped with computers, Chromebooks, iPads, photocopiers, scanners and printers.
- SRC also has high-speed broadbands which enable users to explore multimedia resources anytime.
- Our subscription to Britannica Online, JStor, Questia and Gale eBooks has encouraged our students to explore more in ATL (Approaches to Learning) skills.