The Aims of the Learning Support Department
- To support the creation of a learning environment that meets the educational needs of each student
- To promote differentiated learning throughout the entire curriculum
- To ensure that the learning needs of students are identified, assessed, and provided for
- To identify and coordinate support for students who have exceptional learning abilities
- To identify the roles and responsibilities of staff in providing for students’ learning needs
- To ensure regular consultation with parents regarding their child’s learning
- To fully integrate LS students back into mainstream classes when appropriate
The nature of support varies depending on the needs of the child. The long-term aim for students is to maximise their ability to work independently. Therefore, any support for students is provided in-class when possible. When necessary, some withdrawal from lessons may occur as part of a structured programme.
Partnership with Parents
At Uplands we work closely with parents to support all of our students. We encourage an active partnership through dialogue, meetings, and parent/teacher conferences. The LS Department meets annually (or more frequently if needed) with parents to review their child’s Individualized Education Plan. The IEP will include suggestions and strategies that parents can use to best support the individual needs of their child to grow academically, socially, and/or emotionally depending upon their needs. For students entering the school who are receiving or have received Learning Support previously, the LS Department will liaise with the student’s current or previous school and will meet with school staff, parents, and students before their entry to Uplands.